- The VIU Student Residence could be your home away from home with many accommodation options, closeness to classrooms, city amenities and opportunities to participate in recreational activities! First year students are guaranteed accommodation under specific conditions including application before May 1.
- For reasonable prices VIU students can buy amazing meals and baked goods prepared by the Culinary Arts and Professional Baking students at the Main Cafeteria and Lower Cafeteria. For an additional savings at the cafeterias, students can purchase the Student Value Plan. Load your student card with dining dollars redeemable at both cafeterias and save.
- If living in the VIU Residence, students can take advantage of the Free Grocery Shuttle twice a week to a local grocery store – check with Residence to find out which days.
- To stretch groceries further, sign up for the Good Food Box (scroll down page) at the VIU Residence, Cedar Activity Centre.
- If you are a sub fan, we have a Subway on campus in Building 165.
- The closest grocery store is 15 minutes walking distance away – Quality Foods at University Village Mall. Also from this link see Starbucks, Subway, Ai Sushi Go, Baby Salsa, Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken. Shoppers Drug Mart and Value Village Thrift Store are also located in this mall.
- See all the locations of our supermarkets in Nanaimo.
- Check out organic and local produce at farmers’ markets, one of which is offered on campus throughout the fall.
- Nanaimo boasts a wide selection of restaurants in downtown Nanaimo.
- Find banks and credit unions in Nanaimo.
- ATM machines are available on campus in the Main and Lower Cafeterias, VIU Students’ Union, and in the 7-Eleven, at the corner of Bruce and Fifth Street, beside University Village.
- See bus schedules, maps, trip planner and rider info at the Nanaimo Transit website.
- VIU students qualify for a Nanaimo Transit fare discounts and semester passes.
- Travelling outside of Nanaimo? See the Greyhound website.
- For ferry information, see BC Ferries.
- Need a cab? Call for one at Yellow Cab.
- Staying for a few days and need a vehicle? See Budget Car Rental.
- Driving to VIU? See the driving directions and maps to Nanaimo and VIU.
- Harbour Air (NEW! VIU students are eligible for 22% discount on flight costs), Seair and Tofino Air offer seaplane service to Vancouver Island and Lower Mainland destinations.
- Try the new, fast Helijet service, between Vancouver and Nanaimo Harbour Heliports.
- Air Canada, and Westjet fly to and from Nanaimo Airport.
- See Parking and Security to purchase a parking permit online or find a parking application form.
- Good to know on a wet or wintry day, a service of the VIU Students’ Union is a free jump-start (scroll down page) to students with a dead car battery.
- Covered Bike Parking is available at two locations on the upper and lower campus with power for electric bikes, a repair stand, tools and tire pump. Additionally Bike Lockers (scroll down page) are available free of charge from Parking & Security.