Choosing a Program
- Choosing a program – check out our Official Calendar with its wide variety of certificate, diploma and degree programs. For program details, whether testing is required, or a program is accepting applications, and the name of the program chair, see the Program Availability List.
- Not sure what to study? Exploratory University Studies may be a great place to start!
Planning your Learning Path: Advising
- Prospective students can explore their options by meeting with a Recruitment Officer in Enrolment Management.
- Applicants and current students can find assistance for course selection, changing programs, and determining their educational path with Educational Advisors at the Advising Centre. For more in-depth information about a program and for transfer students going on to complete their degrees at VIU, see a Degree Advisor.
- If you need to upgrade some courses or take pre-requisites that you may have missed, check out Academic and Career Preparation through its Adult Basic Education courses. Also find information about the Literacy Learning Centre, Foundations for Success and Access Programs.
- Shq’apthut – A Gathering Place houses Services for Aboriginal Students which offers information, support and referrals for indigenous students in their academic endeavours.
- International students can find advising help and a full list of services at International Student Services.
Support for Learning
- See the Ready, Set, Go – Launchpad for Success at VIU! for a successful start at VIU.
- Visit the Learning Matters website, the one-stop shop for resources related to learning, studying and all the other aspects of being an effective student.
- For free help with writing assignments and useful workshops, call on the faculty tutors of the Writing Centre.
- The Math Centre is staffed by student tutors who are available to assist with math problems.
- The Library offers a full range of electronic services, including licensed databases, research help and information, study space as well student ID cards and borrowing of books.
- A VIU Learning Strategist or Success Coach can assist with strategies and techniques to support students' learning goals. Individual appointments and a variety of workshops are offered.
- Disability Access Services provides information, support services and reasonable accommodation in all of VIU’s programs to students with a wide range of documented permanent and temporary disabilities.